Student Accessibility Services at UC Merced exists to ensure the institution has a mechanism for students, staff and faculty to provide equal access to education for students living with disabilities. We organize the campus’s response to the Americans with Disabilities Act, Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1974, and arrange for academic adjustments as called for by both laws.
All students submit current documentation from a qualified clinician (medical doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed educational psychologist, etc.) which states the functional limitations of the condition the student is living with. If these limitations rise to the level of a disability, appropriate accommodations are determined and approved by the Student Accessibility Services staff. Each student is evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and is provided with a set of guidelines to follow prior to activating their accommodations.
Providing accommodations for students with disabilities is a shared responsibility between the student, Student Accessibility Services, and the faculty or academic department.
- Accommodation Letter to Faculty
- Students are responsible for ensuring accommodation letters are delivered to faculty members
- Timely Requests
- Students are responsible for submitting requests in a timely manner to ensure requests and deadlines can be met
- Meeting with faculty before exams (strongly recommended)
Institutional Responsibility for Providing Accommodations to Students with Disabilities
- Organizing and scheduling exam accommodations
- Hiring, training, and scheduling proctors for individuals registered with Student Accessibility Services
Faculty/Academic Department Responsibility
- Responding to accommodation requests and email notifications